You are visiting us using the http: protocol instead of the more
secure https: protocol. We continue to support http: for
those people unable to use https:, however we recommend
To switch to https:, click on the "Switch to HTTPS" link above
and use https: the next time you visit us.
The NetHack DevTeam is announcing the release of NetHack 3.6.7 on
February 16, 2023
NetHack 3.6.7 is the official release of NetHack that follows NetHack 3.6.6.
This release primarily corrects a security issue present in NetHack
versions 3.6.2, 3.6.3, 3.6.4, 3.6.5, and 3.6.6.
For details about the security issues please see
You are encouraged to update to NetHack 3.6.7 as soon as possible.
Here's a brief synopsis of the handful of bug fixes included in NetHack 3.6.7:
- invalid status highlight color could be maliciously used to corrupt memory
- formatting corpse names used internal buffers differently from formatting
other objects and could potentially clobber memory
- during engraving, spaces were counted instead of non-space (cherry-pick of
4e0a1e04 from NetHack-3.7)
- avoid potential buffer overflow in append_str()
- resolve missing dependency in NetHack.sln
- code in include/tradstdc.h was trying to suppress warn_unused result by
defining warn_unused_result to an empty string and that began causing
a build error within a system-supplied header file cdefs.h when using
Ubuntu Impish 21.10; disable that for any Linux and macOS gcc unless
GCC_URWARN is defined to force it back into effect
- update_inventory() after leash goes slack
- player assigned name for monsters, specific objects, or object types could be
longer than what was intented to be allowed; for 'curses', much longer
- Windows: added winflexbison to travis-ci configuration to permit full build of
levcomp and dgncomp
- Windows: a bad chdir specified in win/win32/dgnstuff.mak caused full build to
- Windows: the console.rc file had outdated information stating 3.6.3 when the
official 3.6.6 binary had been built.
- Windows: switch from using keyhandling dll's to incorporating the three
variations (default, ray, 340) in sys/winnt/nttty.c
- curses: cherry-picked selectsaved code from 3.7 for menu of save files
- NetHackW: fix delayed rendering of cursor when using farlook
All of the fixes have been published on the public Git repository for the game.
A more complete list can be found in the game's sources in doc/fixes36.7. As usual,
a warning that some entries in that file may also be "spoilers".
Existing saved games and bones files from 3.6.0 through to 3.6.6 should work with
3.6.7, assuming that the same build configuration options were used with
the same compiler.
Checksums (sha256) of binaries that you have downloaded from
can be verified on Windows platforms using:
certUtil -hashfile nethack-367-win-x86.zip SHA256
The following command can be used on most platforms to help confirm the location of
various files that NetHack may use:
As with all releases of the game, we appreciate your feedback. Please submit any
bugs using the problem report form. Also, please check the "known bugs" list
before you log a problem - somebody else may have already found it.
Hosted courtesy of alt.org.
NetHack is Copyright 1985-2023 by Stichting Mathematisch Centrum
and M. Stephenson. See
our license for details.
This site is Copyright 1999-2023 by Kenneth Lorber, Kensington, Maryland.